Lanzarote Singles Holidays Over 50s
The popularity of solo travel and holidays for older adults has risen significantly in recent years. Many over 50s find themselves single again through divorce or bereavement and seek holidays where they can meet new people and enjoy new experiences. Lanzarote is the perfect destination for solo travelers in this age group, offering a relaxed vibe, great weather year-round, and plenty of activities to enjoy.
Lanzarote is the northernmost of the Canary Islands, located just off the coast of Africa. It enjoys a warm dry climate with average temperatures of 21°C in winter and 29°C in summer. The volcanic origin of the island has created a striking landscape, with 300 dormant volcanoes, black sandy beaches, and bizarre lava formations like the Fire Mountains of Timanfaya National Park.
While the island has lively resorts like Puerto del Carmen, it also offers a laidback atmosphere suited to those wanting to unwind. There is a thriving singles scene, with hotels, bars, and events catering to solo travelers. The popularity of adult-only hotels and tailored over 50s packages makes it easy to meet fellow holidaymakers.
- Increasing Trend: More over 50s are exploring solo travel due to life changes like divorce or bereavement.
- Ideal Destination: Lanzarote offers a relaxed atmosphere, fantastic weather, and a variety of activities suited for this age group.
Lanzarote at a Glance
- Location: Northernmost Canary Island, near Africa
- Climate: Average 21°C in winter, 29°C in summer
- Landscape: 300 dormant volcanoes, black sandy beaches, and unique lava formations
- Atmosphere: Mixture of lively resorts and laidback vibes
|Puerto del Carmen
|Largest resort, vibrant atmosphere, beach, and nightlife
|Upscale with high-end hotels and golf courses
|The picturesque old town, marina, popular for water activities
|Includes Arrecife, Yaiza, and traditional coastal villages
- Adult-Only Hotels: Cater to solo travelers, with social activities and entertainment.
- Aparthotels: Self-catering with opportunities to socialize.
- Boutique Hotels: Intimate, upscale with wellness options.
- Spa Resorts: Extensive wellness facilities.
- Villas: Private spaces with communal areas for socializing.
Tip: Choose accommodations considering mobility, proximity to amenities, and suitability for those over 50s.
Package Holiday Options
|All-inclusive at adult-only hotels, excursions, activities
|Silver Travel Advisor
|Tailored for over 50s, includes flights and half-board
|Handpicked hotels, return flights, transfers
|Solo travel with single-room occupancy
Packages generally include flights, transfers, 7-14 night stays, and possibly some activities.
Activities and Attractions
- Beaches: Relax at Playa Blanca, Papagayo, and Famara.
- Nature Reserves: Explore Timanfaya National Park and lava tunnels.
- Historic Sites: Visit Castillo de San José and other landmarks.
- Water Activities: Boat trips, snorkeling, and water sports.
- Wine Tasting: Sample local Malvasía wine.
Tip: Visit in spring (March-May) or autumn (September-November) for pleasant temperatures. Budget €50-100 per day and get comprehensive travel insurance.
Why Lanzarote for Over 50s?
- Weather: Over 300 sunny days annually.
- Landscapes: Beaches, volcanoes, and lava fields.
- Resorts and Accommodations: Tailored for over 50s.
- Social Scene: Bars, events, and a thriving singles scene.
- Culture and Cuisine: Authentic Spanish experiences.
- Safety: Low crime rate, good infrastructure.
Popular Resorts/Areas for Over 50s
Puerto del Carmen is the largest and most popular resort in Lanzarote. It has a lively atmosphere with plenty of bars, restaurants, and evening entertainment. The beautiful Playa Grande beach has golden sand and perfect waters for swimming. There are walks along the seafront promenade and boat trips to nearby islands. The resort is well-served by public transport.
Costa Teguise is an upmarket resort in the north of the island, known for its high-end hotels and golf courses. It has great beaches like Playa de Las Cucharas and a waterpark. Costa Teguise has an attractive seafront promenade dotted with bars and restaurants. It’s a good base for exploring the rest of the island.
Playa Blanca in the south has a picturesque old town and marina area. This coastal town is popular for boat trips, scuba diving, and ferry services to Fuerteventura. The beaches Playa Dorada and Papagayo are stunning with white sand and turquoise waters.
Other popular areas include the capital Arrecife, with its castle and lagoons, and traditional towns like Yaiza, Tinajo, Teguise, and Haría set amid volcanic landscapes. Quieter coastal villages like Arrieta and Orzola offer a more relaxed way to experience authentic Lanzarote.
There are many types of accommodation suitable for solo travelers over 50 in Lanzarote:
- Adult-only hotels cater specifically to singles holidays, with organized social activities and entertainment. Many have pools, bars, restaurants, and fitness centers onsite.
- Aparthotels offer spacious, self-catering apartments with leisure facilities. They allow independence while also providing opportunities to mingle with other guests.
- Boutique hotels provide intimate, upscale accommodation often with spas, yoga, and Pilates.
- Spa resorts have extensive wellness facilities including thermal pools, massages, and fitness classes.
- Villas give the freedom of having your own space while being able to meet fellow holidaymakers at communal pools.
Look for accommodation that is easily accessible for the less mobile, close to local amenities, and located in an area suited to over 50s.
Package Holiday Options
There are many travel companies offering tailored singles & budget holidays in Lanzarote for the over 50s:
- Solos Holidays has all-inclusive breaks staying at adult-only hotels with organized excursions and social activities.
- Silver Travel Advisor specialises in holidays for the over 50s including singles breaks in Lanzarote with flights, transfers, half-board, and entertainment.
- Saga Holidays has packages for the over 50s that include stays at handpicked hotels, return flights, and transfers.
- Just You offers solo traveler holidays with single-room occupancy and the freedom to do your own thing while meeting like-minded people.
Packages typically include return flights, airport transfers, 7-14 night hotel stays on a half or full-board basis, and may have some organized excursions or activities. Different package types are available for interests like walking, yoga, spa, and sightseeing.
Activities and Attractions
There are many great activities and attractions around Lanzarote to enjoy:
- Beaches – Relax on Playa Blanca, Papagayo, or the golden sands of Famara.
- Nature reserves – Explore volcanic landscapes in Timanfaya National Park or walk through lava tunnels at Los Jameos del Agua.
- Historic sites – Learn about Lanzarote’s history at Castillo de San José or Mirador del Río.
- Boat trips – Go dolphin watching, snorkeling, or to the Isla Graciosa.
- Hiking and cycling – Follow scenic trails through lava fields and vineyards.
- Water sports – Try windsurfing, paddle boarding, kayaking, or scuba diving.
- Wine tasting – Visit La Geria vineyards and bodegas to sample the island’s renowned Malvasía wine.
There are also organized excursions, jeep safaris, an aquarium, a waterpark, and vibrant nightlife to experience.
- The best times to visit Lanzarote are in spring (March-May) and autumn (September-November) when temperatures are pleasant.
- Create a budget accounting for meals, activities, tours, and car hire. Daily costs can range from €50-100 per day.
- Get travel insurance covering health, luggage, and trip cancellations. Check coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- No vaccinations are required but bring medications needed regularly. Hospitals and pharmacies are found across the island.
- Lanzarote has a very low crime rate but take basic precautions as with any destination. Use hotel safes and don’t carry large amounts of cash.
- Hiring a car allows flexibility to explore at your own pace. Taxis and buses serve major resorts and towns.
Why Lanzarote is Great for Over 50s
In summary, Lanzarote is a fantastic choice for solo travelers over 50 looking for an enjoyable holiday, with:
- Year-round warm weather with around 300 days of sunshine annually.
- Stunning and diverse landscapes of beaches, volcanoes, and lava fields to discover.
- A choice of lively or relaxed resorts and accommodations tailored for the over 50s.
- Organised single holidays and activities bringing together like-minded people.
- A thriving social scene with bars, evening entertainment, and events.
- Authentic Spanish culture and cuisine to experience.
- A safe, welcoming atmosphere with great infrastructure.
Solo travelers are sure to return home after a holiday in Lanzarote with new friends, wonderful memories, and a refreshed outlook. The island offers the perfect combination of relaxation, adventure, and social connection for the over 50s.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Why is Lanzarote a popular destination for singles holidays over 50s?
A1: Lanzarote has gained popularity among singles over 50 due to its relaxed vibe, fantastic year-round weather, and variety of activities. The island’s unique landscape, thriving singles scene, and tailored accommodation options make it an attractive destination for older adults looking to enjoy solo travel.
Q2: What are some of the popular resorts in Lanzarote for over 50s?
A2: Some of the popular resorts include:
- Puerto del Carmen: Known for its vibrant atmosphere, beaches, and nightlife.
- Costa Teguise: An upscale resort with high-end hotels and golf courses.
- Playa Blanca: Offers a picturesque old town and is popular for water activities.
Q3: What types of accommodation are available in Lanzarote for solo travelers over 50?
A3: The island offers a variety of accommodations tailored for solo travelers, including:
- Adult-only hotels with organized social activities
- Aparthotels offering self-catering options and leisure facilities
- Boutique hotels provide intimate, upscale stays
- Spa resorts with extensive wellness facilities
- Villas provide private spaces with communal areas for socializing
Q4: Are there any travel companies that offer tailored singles holidays in Lanzarote for the over 50s?
A4: Yes, there are several travel companies catering to this demographic, such as:
- Solos Holidays
- Silver Travel Advisor
- Saga Holidays
- Just You
These companies offer packages that typically include flights, hotel stays, and various activities, ensuring a comprehensive holiday experience.
Q5: What activities and attractions can singles over 50 enjoy in Lanzarote?
A5: Lanzarote offers a wide range of activities, including:
- Relaxing at beautiful beaches like Playa Blanca and Papagayo
- Exploring nature reserves and volcanic landscapes
- Visiting historic sites
- Engaging in water sports and boat trips
- Hiking and cycling through scenic trails
- Wine tasting at local vineyards
Q6: When is the best time to visit Lanzarote for a singles holiday?
A6: The best times to visit Lanzarote for pleasant weather and fewer crowds are during spring (March to May) and autumn (September to November).
Q7: What travel tips are suggested for singles over 50 planning a holiday to Lanzarote?
A7: Some helpful travel tips include:
- Creating a budget, with daily costs ranging from €50-100
- Getting comprehensive travel insurance covering health, luggage, and trip cancellations
- Ensuring access to medical supplies and healthcare facilities
- Taking basic safety precautions, such as using hotel safes and not carrying large amounts of cash
- Considering car hire for flexible exploration of the island
These tips aim to ensure a safe, enjoyable, and well-planned holiday experience.
Brought to you by BudgetTreks